Sunday 20 January 2013

The Young Victoria

I'm going to keep my second review (already?!) short and snappy this time. "The Young Victoria" is my Costume Drama of the Month (January 2013) so it makes sense to review it for the Period Drama Challenge at some point this month.
For anyone who hasn't seen 'The Young Victoria", it isn't difficult to know what it's about: Queen Victoria when she was a young woman. Emily Blunt gives a lovely portrayal of Victoria, and Rupert Friend is a wonderful Prince Albert (may I be a fangirl here and say I think he makes Prince Albert adorable? And I'm not even a Rupert Friend fan at all). The music used matches very well. I don't know much about this time period or history involving Queen Victoria, but I have read that there are some historical inaccuracies, although a lot of people are quite pleased with the film.
In terms of costuming it isn't a time period I'm particularly familiar with however they looked beautiful. I have read that the clothes Victoria wears before she is queen make her look more childlike and when she becomes queen they look more sophisticated, as matches part of the storyline of the film - being told what to do like a child, then being able to do things herself as queen. The costumes for this film were designed by Sandy Powell.
Overall I enjoyed this film very much, and would recommend it to most people as it has something for everybody: a sweet romance, politics, history, and overall a wonderful film. On IMDb it is rated as PG "for some mild sensuality, a scene of violence, and brief incidental language and smoking".

Old-Fashioned Charm

2 comments:

  1. There were some fairly inaccurate parts, but I agree with you. Well worth watching. The clothes were delightful. Must have cost a fortune! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel I ought to learn more about the time period and about Queen Victoria! :P thank you!

      Delete